Mould

Musty Muddle of Moisture and Mould

  1. Water does not want to be sterile; when liquid water remains standing for more than 48 hours, mould spores will begin to germinate and grow.
  2. There is no point trying to kill visible mould with bleach or fungicides; to get rid of mould you need to address any moisture that is supporting microbial growth.
  3. Not all mould is dangerous, however stagnant water gives rise to a territorial battle between bacteria and fungi that leads to production of biotoxins and pathogenic mould.
  4. Water vapour enters our houses from the outside air and through breathing, bathing, cooking and from washing and drying clothes. When warm humid air meets a cold surface, condensation happens.
  5. Liquid water can enter our homes from the ground up (inadequate drainage), the top down (leaky roofs and windows) and from inside (spills and leaks).
  6. Mouldy odours are caused by microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs) which are the gaseous products of fungal digestion, or ‘fungi farts’ which smell bad.
  7. Current building codes do little to ensure mould-free homes and the majority of homes are likely to be affected.
  8. Mould can have devastating effects on human health leading to asthma, allergies, respiratory conditions, fatigue, headaches, insomnia, inflammation and a wide range of chronic diseases.
  9. Prevention is better than cure. Managing mould can be dangerous so it is important to try to prevent dampness and use personal protective equipment (PPE) that includes HEPA filters because: “If you don’t use a filter, you’ll be a filter”.