Many people use a filter for their drinking water, yet do not realise it is probably more important to filter their bathing water.
Here are ten reasons why it is more important to filter your shower and bath water than your drinking water.
- You are exposed to a much greater volume of water and hence toxic chemical load through bathing than drinking.
- Bathing in heated water leads to out-gassing of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and toxic disinfectant by-products which are inhaled.
- Hot water opens pores and allows volatile compounds to be absorbed through the large surface of skin and lungs.
- Toxic compounds absorbed through the lungs and skin enter directly into the bloodstream without being processed by the liver.
- Toxic compounds irritate the mucous membranes of your eyes, nose, mouth, respiratory tract and vagina (if you have one).
- Toxic compounds reduce the skins water-holding capacity, aggravate eczema, dandruff and atopic dermatitis, and contribute to dry, itchy skin.
- Toxic compounds in bathing water disrupt your skin’s microbial balance which makes it harder to keep your skin healthy.
- Toxic compounds strip natural oils from hair and accelerate hair loss while making hair dry, brittle and less manageable.
- Minerals in hard water prevent soap fully lathering, this leaves soapy film clogging your pores and coating your hair.
- Toxic compounds released into the air by hot showers and baths spread throughout the house causing damage and erosion.
You can try to reduce your toxic exposure by taking shorter or less frequent showers, having colder showers, shutting the water off while soaping up and ensuring you use an exhaust fan and have adequate ventilation during bathing.
You can also choose to fill a bath with very hot water and leave it to cool down with the exhaust fan on and then bathe after the toxic gases have evaporated off.
The very best way to reduce your toxic exposure from bathing (and drinking) water is to get an Extreme Wellness Whole House Water Filter.
Because if you don’t use a filter, you become one.
Dr Marc is a medical doctor, university professor and wellness trailblazer with 2 PhDs, who has spent more than 30 years practicing and researching holistic health. He has published more than 100 peer-reviewed scientific papers and many books and technical texts on wellness and natural medicine and is author of the illustrated children’s book “The Beautiful Mare and the Boy Who Gave Thanks“. He is the Founder of the Extreme Wellness Institute and Co-Founder of the Bathe the World Foundation. You can find him at www.drmarc.co , www.extremewellness.co and at www.facebook.com/drmarc.co www.instagram.com/extreme_wellness